Volunteer Spotlight - Nikki Tan



Every month we will feature a current student, teacher or alumni from CLIP to showcase on our blog.  If you are interested in being featured, contact web@cusdclipco.org.


Who are you?
My name is Nikki Tan - I work as an insurance broker in SF, but I try to spend as much time as I can with my kids at their numerous activities.  I'm a mom of 4, all of whom are at Meyerholz - 5th, 4th, 3rd and Kinder.  I've been a part of CLIP since my oldest was in kinder, so I’ve been in the program almost 6 years.


What volunteer role do you have in CLIP currently? What roles, if any, have you had in the past?
The 2017-18 year is my 2nd year as the ASEP Co-Director.  I was previously served on the CLIPCO Board as the 2nd and 3rd grade class rep.


Tell us about ASEP.  Why did you decide to volunteer in this role?
The ASEP Co-director position pretty much fell in my lap.  My kids have been a part of ASEP for the last 5 years and I am grateful and appreciative to all the parents who started the program and for those who are keeping it going. The kids get to learn more of the Asian culture and they have fun doing it.  I mentioned to the previous directors, Sylvia and Cathy, that I really like ASEP and when it was time for them to move on, they tapped me for it.  It would have been sad to see such an enriching program end, so I said yes.


What do you enjoy most about volunteering?  
That's a tough one.  Volunteering for such a big position as co-director can be time consuming, but I love seeing the looks on the kids faces when they're prepping for their showcase.  They work so hard every semester to show their friends and family what they've accomplished and it's a proud moment.  


Volunteering has definitely helped me to develop relationships with the faculty, staff and parents.  It's also helped me to gain a better understanding of the inner workings of CLIP and CLIPCO.  I could have stayed on the sidelines, but I'm glad I didn't.


As a parent, what do you like best about the CLIP program?
We originally entered into the lottery because it gives our kids the advantage of learning a 2nd language and culture during regular school hours.  But as the years have gone by, I've come to appreciate the time and effort it takes for a program like ours to work.  It really takes a village and we have a strong community.  


What advice or message do you have for current CLIP parents?

Enjoy these years because I know I am =)  Ask questions, volunteer - let's keep CLIP going strong.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Spotlight - Anna Tsai

Volunteer Spotlight - Alan Fong

Alumni Spotlight - Maxwell Ruckstuhl and Kelly Ruckstuhl