Volunteer Spotlight - Rachel Turkal


Who are you?

My name is Rachel Turkal. I grew up on the East Coast and lived in Germany for a couple years when I was a child. I went to a small liberal arts college in Virginia called Sweet Briar College where I majored in Psychology and Studio Art. Professionally I have worked with at-risk youth in a treatment facility setting, in various capacities as a customer service agent, and in various office administrative roles.

I have a child in the 2nd grade and we have been in the CLIP program going on 3 years.

What volunteer role do you have in CLIP currently? What roles, if any, have you had in the past?

I currently am chairing the MCAC (Meyerholz CLIP Advisory Committee) and am assisting Nikki Tan run ASEP (After School Enrichment Program). Previously I have been on the CLIPCO Board as a grade representative for Kindergarten and 1st grade as well as being a member of the MCAC committee.  I am also on the PTA and volunteer with Project Cornerstone.

What do you enjoy most about volunteering?  
I enjoy getting to know they parents better, knowing the inner workings of the programs.

Tell us about a favorite memory from volunteering.

As a Project Cornerstone volunteer I used a dinosaur puppet named Roary in kindergarten and the following year students would ask about the puppet – what had he been up to over the summer and was he coming back for the current year.  I love that the kids were so into it! It shows that even a little bit of investment in the children really means a lot to them!


As a parent, what do you like best about the CLIP program?
I love that my child is being exposed a different culture and learning a language in an immersion setting. 

What advice or message do you have for current CLIP parents?
We are all part of an amazing community and program. Each and everyone's contribution, no matter how large or small, is important to the school and to CLIP. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Spotlight - Anna Tsai

Congrats to Lyria and Ray Zhu - Winners in the Beijing 13th National Youth Talent TV Show

Volunteer Spotlight - Alan Fong